Monday, August 27, 2007

Should I be insulted?

I can take "constructive criticism" from my mother but when total strangers offer it it's another story.

I was playing Chromehounds with my squad Saturday night when my squad leader says into his mic "I don't want her to go out, she's on my squad." Now if he hadn't mentioned the word squad I would have thought he was talking about someone at his place. His girlfriend . . . or a dog perhaps. But since I was the only "her" that was also a part of the "squad" I figured that he was talking about me with someone. So I asked.

My squad leader's mother was over at his place working on her computer while we were playing games. She asked him if "Pengwenn" was a girl. He said yes. She responded by saying it's Saturday night and "Pengwenn should be out on a date". Now I don't know why this mattered to her or why she felt that this was the right thing for me to be doing at that moment because this woman doesn't know me. We've never met. We've never chatted. We've never crossed paths until this moment.

All I can think of is that she's worried that her son spends too much time with "another woman" and that I'm getting in between him and his girlfriend. For all she knows I could be married and have kids running around the place. But then my squad leader knows I'm single so maybe his mother knows too. I harmlessly flirt every now and then with a lot of guys, but I'm not out to find a man through Xbox Live.

But who is she to give advice as to what I should or shouldn't be doing with my time on a Saturday night? My mother can comment all she wants about my social life. I understand why she does it. She wants more grandbabies. But a gamer's mother who I've never met? Should I be insulted?

No comments: