Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Wireless for Dummies

Let me start off by saying I know what a wireless connection is and how it works. I just had to say that because I didn't want you to think I was any more stupid that I actually am.

I'm getting really close to the end of this house buying process. If all things go according to plan I should be in my new house in a couple of weeks. Maybe by then I'll have some mental energy left to post more here.

One of the issues I have with my house is that I will either need to string a long Ethernet cable through out the house from my router to my Xbox 360 or go to a wireless connection for my gaming enjoyment. In my research of wireless connectors for an Xbox 360 it says two things: 1) your Xbox 360 should be within 30 feet of the wireless router, and 2) it should have a clear "line of sight" to the router.

Now depending on what bedroom I turn into my office the 30 feet rule shouldn't be a problem. However, the line of sight one is a big problem. Unless I put my router in the same room as my Xbox 360 there's no way I could get a "line of sight" system set up. I could always leave my consoles wired and convert my computer to the wireless part of my router but I will feel more comfortable if my personal information is not open to anyone walking by looking for a connection. And before dain starts in on me, yes I know there are ways to secure your connection. I'm just saying that's how I feel.

You see, my tech suaveness comes from the actual use of technology. I can make really interesting and complicated Word documents of Excel spreadsheets. Once you start getting into Visual Basics and other more intense programing I start to get lost. That's what my brother dain is for. He's the resident family go-to guy for anything tech related. If anything were to happen to him my whole (Arizona) family would be up a creek when it comes to anything that you plug in. He knows it. And sometimes he can't stand our lack of knowledge. If anything needs to be done to my house to make my gaming systems playable online he's going to be the one to do it.

So if any of you are using a wireless system for your Xbox 360 I'd love to hear how it's working for you. Do you have it in the same room as your router? Does it have a "line of sight" to your router? What's your online performance like? Do you have lag issues? Anything you can tell me I'd really appreciate it. I might know a bunch of things about a variety of subjects but when it comes to technology even the yellow "dummies" books are sometimes over my head.

5 comments:

metallicorphan said...

i pretty much dont trust wireless..Wi-Fi

i have my 360 plugged ethernet...my PS3 can be used wireless and at a stretch i use the wifi..but its crap,takes a long time to download anything or even bring up an internet page

the Wii,which doesnt give you a choice...thanks Ninty(!)...downlaods take a while,butt he pages for the internet are faster than the PS3 wireless...i would hate to play games online with both wireless

ethernet all the way for me

Zak said...

I have the xbox wireless adapter. I have no complaints. the only time I notice a lag is when my wife is upload pics to her myspace account.
at my old house, my router was downstairs and my xbox upstairs and that worked fine. just make sure you buy a good router, the one I have sucks. Netgear. Congrats on your new home.

Anonymous said...

Dennis and I use a wireless adaptor. Our modem is in our bedroom, and the 360 is out in the living room about 25 feet away without a line of sight. We haven't had any issues unless I am on our other wireless computer uploadng pics or docs.

Best of luck with the homebuying - I remember how crazy that was for us! :-)

Love your blog!

"Hester"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pengwenn said...

Thanks guys. Well, until I know how much finances I'll need to pay bills etc. I won't be getting anything "extra" even if it's somewhat mandatory for my gaming habits. Until then I'll just string a really long ethernet cable from one room to the other and top I don't trip on it walking around. Maybe in a month or two I'll be able to do something about it.