Monday, April 28, 2014

In Memoriam: metallicorphan

I haven't posted for awhile because I was sent reeling with some unexpected news a while ago.  One of my online friends since 2004 in the old Star Wars Battlefront days has died.  His gamer tag was metallicorphan and I'll miss him terribly.

He lived in England but was always up to joining our American matches even if it meant a whole lot of lag for him.  I could always count on him to brighten up my day with a joke or two.  We flirted and joked around but I never felt creeped out by any of it which is something I couldn't always say about some of my other friends.  I could always count on him to read my blog and comment on what I had written.  He was there for me as a gamer and as a friend.  And he will be missed.

Even though I had never met the man the news of his passing was devastating to hear.  I've lost contact with friends before for various reasons.  Some left Xbox because of their feelings towards Microsoft.  Some left gaming because life got in the way.  Some left because they couldn't or didn't want to upgrade to new systems.  Some just lost interest.  Since I've lost touch with most of those friends I can't be sure that they're still alive and well.  And while I hope they are doing well, I also hope that someday they will come back to gaming and we can play together again.

I think one reason why metallic's death hit me so hard because wonderful the man was to me, as a gamer and as a girl-gamer, was that I knew with the loss of this friend there would be no hope of playing together again.  I won't be able to turn on my Xbox one day and see that he's come back to gaming and we can put in a game and play together again.  And he was looking forward to playing Star Wars Battlefront 3 someday.  Maybe it's come out in Heaven and he's playing it right now.  If anyone deserves to play that game it would be him.  If you're up there playing orphie, save me a drink in Mos Eisley's Cantina.  Just don't shoot me when I come through the door.

4 comments:

Zenra Nukenin said...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't even know if I'd ever played with him (I thought I had until you mentioned he was English), but I feel like I knew him somewhat just from his posts here.

Do you know how he died? Nothing too detailed. I'm just curious if it was medical, or an accident.

Pengwenn said...

He got secondary bladder cancer. He beat it once but it came back with a vengance and was diagnosed as terminal. I think they gave him 2 months. He never said anything to me so it completely blindsided me and I got very emotional.

Zenra Nukenin said...

So if I might ask, how did you find out?

PogueMoran said...

The news of this really sent me reeling as well. I found out through SandDog. I really thought he had it beat the last time around and had talked to him a few weeks before. We even played a game together. He will be missed. I remember the old days in playing battlefront with him. I also remember chasing him around the map on bad company with the tracer darts lighting him up like a christmas tree. He was an all around good guy who will be missed.