Wednesday, November 21, 2007

When release dates are confusing

I love going to my GameStop store except for one very annoying thing. They know me and know which systems I have and what type of games I like. So what could be so bad as to be annoying? Release dates.

If a game is scheduled with a release date of 11/20 I can't pick it up in the store until the following day. Why? Because supposedly the release date is the day the game ships not the day it's available for retail. Well, if that's the case then why were a lot of my friends playing Mass Effect yesterday but I can't pick mine up until today?

When Assassin's Creed came out I took a day off just so I could play the game for hours on end without interruptions (little did I know I'd actually spend that day running errands and such and got very little time to play anything). Everything I came across said Assassin's Creed was to be released on 11/13. I scheduled the next day off but when I went to my local GameStop to pick it up on the 13th they said they couldn't sell it to me until the next day. In the mean time I went home and watched friends rack up achievements in a game I wasn't allowed to purchase yet.

Now the same thing is happening with Mass Effect. It's starting to get a little annoying especially when the wait to get a new game was unbearable enough before and now I have to wait another day? It makes me want to make all my pre-orders somewhere else. But I like the people there, it's right on the way home from work and there's a Chick-Fil-A nearby if I can't wait for dinner until I get home. Tonight I'll swing by to pick up Mass Effect (a day later than everyone else) but I think I'll stop at House of Yang instead. I don't want chicken today if I'm going to have turkey tomorrow.

No comments: