Friday, December 21, 2007

Here comes the rain again

Where I live a 20% chance of rain means it's going to be a dry day. Of course, I've seen weathermen live on the television say that there's no chance of rain and I can look out my window and see a downpour. And no it's not the sprinklers. And when the weatherman says it's going to rain late at night, he means while you're sleeping and can't enjoy the patter of rain on your windows.

So when I drove home from work last night and saw the red under glow on the clouds as the sun set I was hopeful, but not expecting anything. When I listened to the weather report of only a "20% chance of rain scattered throughout the valley overnight" I wasn't expecting much. I was surprised to see the roads and sidewalks wet this morning from seemed to be a good size downpour and I realized something. I wanted to play BioShock.

At first this confused me, but then it all started to make sense. I played a terrible night last night in Call of Duty 4. I was worthless and I couldn't concentrate. And I couldn't figure out why. It just didn't feel like the game I should be playing, but I didn't know what else I should have been playing instead.

The first time I played BioShock another storm was moving into the valley. A much bigger and harder hitting one than the one we got last night. I put BioShock in and started the game up. I thought the underwater atmosphere of the game was fitting for the stormy atmosphere I was currently in the middle of. Unfortunately, what I didn't know was that this (along with playing with all the lights out) was going to make the whole game experience that much more creepy. And I admit it. I was scared.

So scared that I stopped playing because I didn't want to have nightmares. Which is a little ironic because I remembered giving my friend Dennis a hard time when he said he had to quit playing one night because he didn't want to have nightmares. From a game? You've got to be kidding. He wasn't and now I knew.

So when the storm moved in last night I guess instead of playing Call of Duty 4 what I subconsciously wanted to play was BioShock. The rain clouds are still around and I had a few times when I actually had to use my windshield washers on the morning commute. How long those clouds stick around with their ominous feel to them, I don't know. I just know that right now all I want to do is go home and play BioShock even if it will scare the pants off of me. Hopefully I won't only play the game when it's raining or dark and moody outside. If that was the case it's going to take me a long time before I ever finish it.

Until then every time it gets cloudy not only will I have lyrics to the Eurythmics's song running through my head but I'll also have a desire to play BioShock. "Here comes the rain again...."

No comments: