Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My life is difficult enough

Okay when I play a game for the first time I always play it on the lowest difficulty setting possible. If I like the game I'll go back and pick a harder setting for the next play through. It takes me a while to get into the flow and feel of a game and I could very easily put it down if it got to hard. I've got tons of other games I could be playing that I enjoy instead of one that's annoying the crap out of me.

Even on the lowest setting of Mass Effect when I got to the first door I had to open and couldn't complete the little mini game fast enough and realized I didn't have enough gel to open the door, I quit. But not wanting to replay a bunch of the game from my last save (since I couldn't remember when that was) I saved it before quitting. Which meant that when I loaded it up again I'd be back facing the same problem.

When I explained my situation with dain he told me to pull the game out and he'd help me through it. Luckily when I pulled up my save files there was an autosave prior to me messing up the door (and not that far back) that we loaded up. It took me a couple of attempts (and a couple of reloads) but I finally managed to get through the door with the minigame.

And don't get me started on Gears of War. I was planning on playing the "Easy" level all on my own but Evil Ric wanted to play some co-op and we were both towards the end of the game so we played through. I have to reluctantly admit that I needed the help because I don't think I would have been able to do it all on my own in the first place. And now that I'm trying to go through the game on the next level up ("Hard") I'm having a hard time. I can't get through to the first boss because I get overwhelmed with locust and I don't have enough ammo to kill them all. Not to mention the fact that I'm a terrible shot.

So I feel like a chump.

I'm a chump for playing on the lowest difficulty level when all my friends are blasting away at the hardcore/insane levels of games. I'm a chump for getting stuck at a very easy point in the game. I'm a chump for not being able to hack it when the difficulty gets turned up.

I thought I was a good player. Not great certainly, but good. I was wrong. I'm just a chump struggling through games on easy. My life is difficult enough that I guess I don't like it when my games are as well.

No comments: