Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I want my gaming websites at work!

Don't you hate it when you click on a website at work only to get the "games filtered" message in your web browser? Or how when a site is accessible one day only to be blocked the next?

My job is boring and the only excitement I get out of my day is the occasional click of a website that just might happen to have video game related content. It's not like I'm playing a game I just want to read up on news in the gaming industry. If people can spend all their time biding on items on ebay why can't I read articles on Halo 3's release?

And when I do find a video game related site that I can view I'm never sure how long that will last. I could access Asher Crestfallen's Chromehounds site for months until suddenly it was blocked. I could never get to Xbox.com but through Asher's site I could get to the forums page. Now I don't even have that. And Game Stop's website is hit or miss. One week I'll have access. The next week I won't.

With the help of a friend we figured out how to bypass the companies restrictions with a proxy server. Everything was open to me. It was all glorious. My days at work were no longer boring. They were tolerable and sometimes down right enjoyable. That is until they blocked proxy server access.

I've worked with people who spent all day watching ebay and refreshing the page every 5 minutes to see if anyone bid on their items. If you ever went over to their desk all they wanted to talk about was why people were not bidding on their items. And if people were bidding they'd talk about how much of a profit they were going to make because people are suckers for the right item description. And if I'm allowed to spend my day adding things to my wish list on Amazon and refining my recommendations by rating things I've bought why can't I read a preview for Mass Effect? Or a review of games shown at E3?

It only takes a couple of minutes to read an article. I read it; then move on. If I can read my video gaming news I'll be a happier employee. I'll actually enjoy coming in to work instead of feeling like this job is sucking the life out of me as I waste my time sitting behind a desk when I'd rather be gaming. Make me have a reason to come to work instead of a reason to rush home at night. Come on. What do you really want me to do as I sit here? Work?

No comments: