Monday, April 28, 2008

Poll Results - How many 360s have you owned?

Okay, here's the results from the latest poll.

How many Xbox 360s have you owned?
0 = 0
1 = 1
2 = 5
3 = 1
4 = 1
5+ = 2

I'm really not surprised by those numbers at all. What I would like to know is of those five people who said they've owned two systems how many were because they got a different system back after they sent theirs off to be repaired or they bought a second system to use as a backup. Feel free to leave me a comment if you're one of them.

What I was a little shocked to see if those that voted for the three, four and especially 5+ options. It leads me to ask: "How much does loyalty cost?" The only items I've had to replace or buy backups for on any of my other systems are controllers. The original controller I got with my PS2 finally died a couple of weeks ago. Considering how much game play I got out of it it was money well spent. Can you say that for your Xbox 360?

This shortened lifespan the Xbox 360 console has seems to have crossed over into their peripherals as well. I'm currently on my 5th headset and second Plug and Play charging cord. One of my headsets had the connecting post that goes into the controller break off inside the controller. It took some jiggling and a lot of praying before I was able to knock that piece out so I could use that controller again. How bad would that be to have to replace a controller just because a part of the headset connector got stuck in it? All of this and I've only had my system for 16 months.

So, at what point do you draw the line and say I'm not going to spend another dime on yet another Xbox 360 or it's peripherals? Or do you just naturally budget money for things like headsets and new consoles because the games are that good? I remember when my video game budget was just for games. And with games now at $60 a pop can you really keep affording new games if you keep having to rebuy all the extras not to mention new systems? At what point do you say 'enough is enough' and no matter what games are coming out on the Xbox 360 it's not worth it to you to play them any more? Do you stay loyal until the warranty runs out?

For me, I think I'm good for one more console and then I just might move on to the PS3 for good. It's not that I'm not enjoying my time playing on the 360, but it's getting to be a very expensive habit to maintain. But I guess all drug dealers, whether they're selling crack, heroin or Xbox 360s, will always remind you of the 'good times' to give you a reason to keep coming back for more.

No comments: