Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Good things don't go unpunished?

I did a good thing. But now I'm not sure why.

My youngest brother is currently borrowing one of my Xbox 360s. I got him an original Xbox and some games for his birthday last June and he's loved playing but has had a hard time finding good matches with those old games. Once my other brother and I got our systems repaired and sorted out I told him he could use the extra one to play on. I did that because he played Gears a long time ago and loved it. And played Call of Duty 4 and couldn't get enough of it.

So here's the good thing. I wasn't going to let him borrow my CoD4 disk because I was still playing it. So I went out and bought him a new one. But I told him it would be on a "rent-to-own" deal. He had to give me $5 every month until his birthday in June for a total of $30. If he still wanted the game by then he could have it otherwise I get it to sell it back for another game.

But here's the bad part (for me anyway). He's only been playing the game for a couple of days and he's better than me. He consistently scores higher than I do. He's ranking up faster than I am. He gets more kills too. About the only thing I do better than him in the game is die. A lot of good that does me . . . and my team.

He's making me look bad to all my friends. I even changed my Clan Tag to [dud] to show my frustration. After an unusually good match for me I changed my tag to [WOW!] but that turned out to be a disaster. I immediately switched back to my [dud]; it seems to suit me.

I know I did a good thing but my competitive nature kicked in and now I feel like I'm being punished.

No comments: