Friday, February 15, 2008

Poll Results - Number of Xbox Live Arcade games

So the poll is closed and the voting ended like this:

1-15 = 4 votes
15-30 = 1 vote
30-45 = 1 vote
45-60 = no votes
60-75 = no votes
75+ = 1 vote

And just for the record my votes was the 75+, but I'll get to that in a bit.

Why only 1-15 Arcade games? That doesn't seem like enough. Just think about it. Unless you have the narrowest taste in games (or a very limited budget) you're bound to pick up more than 15. For starters Aegis Wings, Hexic HD and Yaris are free. No money involved there. If you're a card player you'll probably pick up Uno, Hearts and Spades as well as Solitaire (and all the expansion packs). You might even pick up Backgammon even though it's not a card game. So you're already up to 8 games and we haven't gotten into other interests you might have.

If you are an old "going to the arcade" gamer you've probably unlocked Asteroids, Tempest, Centipede, Galaga, Gauntlet, Joust and Tron. If you're going to unlock Pac Man you might as well unlock Ms. Pac Man and Pac Man CE while you’re at it. You see how easy it is to accumulate a bunch of games?

If you were a home gamer in your youth (back in the old Atari days) you probably bought Frogger, Track & Field, Smash TV, Paperboy, Root Beer Tapper and Missile Command. Those games will let you relive old childhood memories. And for the sports/bar fanatic Pinball FX, Bankshot Billiards 2, 3D Ultra Mini Golf and Texas Hold 'Em.

But even if you didn't have a set taste in games there are several that are similar to each other that if you liked one you'll probably get the other. I’m talking about Zuma and Luxor 2, Hexic HD and Hexic 2, Crystal Quest and Robotron 2084, Bejeweled 2 and Jewel Quest, Space Giraffe and Every Extend Extra Extreme, Aegis Wings and Scramble. There's something for everyone and something very similar to it that only costs about 800 points more.

Yes, I know money is something some people have to consider when it comes to their electronic entertainment. Buying all the latest games (through the Arcade or otherwise) can really add up, including all the add on features that come out. That's way when you don't have the money it's nice to download the demo and get your fix that way.

I counted up my games and I've got 95 total Arcade games. About 10-12 of those are demos that I wanted to try out based on recommendations from friends. Yes, I know that's a lot of games, but I like them. There's a game to suit my every mood (and I'm a girl so I've got lots of moods). If I can't find the right game for my mood then there isn't a game out there made for what I'm feeling at that time.

Some times I get obsessed with playing a game either for the achievements or for the highest score. I got that way with Jewel Quest and Backgammon. I just had to finish those games. I played a little bit every night to keep myself fresh and within in a couple of weeks I made it to the end and earned every achievement. I'm currently obsessed with Catan but unfortunately my internet connection (and the crappy online support that game has) prevents me from picking up the last achievements I need. For some reason I don't have connection issues with any other game on my 360 except this one.

I even have full versions of games that I haven't played yet. I've unlocked Golden Axe, Outpost Kaloski X, Prince of Persia Classic, Time Pilot and Double Dragon but I haven't played them. Why? Because I usually do all my downloading after I'm done playing for the night. I jump out of whatever game I'm playing, download the new content then go to bed. By the time I get back to playing again I've started playing something else. I will eventually play those games. And all the demos I've downloaded but haven't tried.

I even tallied up my gamer points from my Arcade games vs. my disk games. I think I have more points through the Arcade. The numbers were very close and things might have swung back in favor of the disks as I picked up some achievements in Conan and Bioshock after I added things up.

Even though I have a lot of Arcade games already I still check the New Arrivals every Wednesday. And I can't wait until Ikaruga comes out. I have this game for the Game Cube but I can't wait to play it and earn achievements for my 360. So if for some reason the game developers go on strike and stop making new games I think I'm set for awhile. I've got enough games to last me for a couple of years at least. Hopefully those with 1-15 Arcade games won't regret not getting more.

No comments: