Friday, February 1, 2008

When Johnny comes marching home again

I've got some guys on my friend's list that have been connected with the military in the past and some currently in the army. One of them is named . . . well, since he's changed it a couple of times we'll just call him Johnny. It's close enough. I've know him from the old Star Wars Battlefront days. And no matter what name he goes by he's still a great guy.

We were in the middle of a Rainbow 6: Vegas binge when he had to report for duty because he was going to fight in Iraq. I think he played every minute he could before he left. When I noticed his name was no longer on my friend's list I got worried. I found out his account had expired while he was gone (and another reason why he had a slightly different name when he reactivated it).

Well, he's been home on leave since around Christmas and he's been playing Call of Duty 4 like crazy. Occasionally he goes back and plays Battlefront for old time's sake. Unfortunately his leave is almost up and I think he has to report back this Saturday. He's only got 6 months left of his tour and I don't know what he'll do afterwards, but I really hope he comes back alive. So for Johnny I'd like to dedicate the old civil war song "When Johnny comes marching home again".

When Johnny comes marching home again,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The men will cheer and the boys will shout
The ladies they will all turn out
And we'll all feel glad,
When Johnny comes marching home.

The old church bell will peal with joy
Hurrah! Hurrah!
To welcome home our darling boy
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The village lads and lassies say
With roses they will strew the way,
And we'll all feel glad
When Johnny comes marching home.

Get ready for the Jubilee,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give the hero three times three,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The laurel wreath is ready now
To place upon his loyal brow
And we'll all feel glad
When Johnny comes marching home


I wish you luck, safety, and a quick trip home. Thank you for serving your country.

No comments: