Monday, June 23, 2008

I don't like you . . . and that's okay

If you've ever been to Disney Land then I'm sure you've gone on the "It's a Small World" ride. And you've probably had that song stuck in your head the rest of the day. It's a cute ride and some of the nations are fascinating but it sends a wrong picture to the world. Yes, it is a world of laughter, a world of tears and we all experience those so it really is a small world in that sense. But in another sense we don't have to get along just because it's a small world.

You've got different views of the world from what I've got but that doesn't mean you're wrong and I'm right. It doesn't mean I'm going to hate you or even like you for that matter. You see, liking someone and getting along with them are two different things. They could be a nice guy but if they cheat at poker you don't have to like them completely. For that matter you don't have to play Poker with them ever again, but that doesn't mean you can't like them.

For instance, I have a couple people on my friends list that are nice folks. Kind, funny and a nice guy/gal to hang around with. But with those friends there are certain games I will not play with them unless I have no other choice. Why? Because of how they play the game. Maybe they cheat. Maybe they glitch. Maybe they become a raving lunatic and can't control themselves. Or maybe they are just so much better than I am that the rest of us playing just don't stand a chance and therefore the game is no longer any fun. And who wants to play a game that isn't fun?

And it's not just my friends list. There are people on the friends lists of my friends that I don't particularly like to play with. And I'm sure I've got some of my friends cringing when someone on my list joins one of my games because I invited them. Do I look down on a friend because he's got a friend that I don't like? Absolutely not. It's a free world (along with being a small one) and he or she can have all the friends they want. I might not always play with my friends when they're playing with someone I don't get along with or feel comfortable when I do play with them, but one or two bad eggs isn't going to ruin a completely separate and enjoyable friendship with my friend. And if you want to look at it from another angle you could say this friend doesn't want to play with that friend so good luck trying to get a room of friends together.

I play with the friends I want to play with at that time. Which is usually the first friend who sends me a game invite to a game I'm in the mood for. Sometimes there are people in the room I don't like or can't stand (especially if it's a public room) but I usually stay and play for awhile. I might not say much (outside of a few choice swear words every now and then) but I'm always up for some good game play.

In a perfect world (or one completely designed by Disney) we would all get along and it wouldn't matter who was friends with who. But if you watch the news you know it's not a perfect world so there's going to be people out there we just don't like. So it's okay to not like someone and not want to play with them. I might not like you, have you ever thought of that? And that's okay too. The key is when you don't like someone to keep your mouth shut. And if you can't do that why don't you just start singing the theme to "It's a Small World" ride. Here are the lyrics for you if it's been awhile:


It's a Small World

it's a world of laughter, a world or tears
its a world of hopes, its a world of fear
there's so much that we share
that its time we're aware
its a small world after all

CHORUS:
its a small world after all
its a small world after all
its a small world after all
its a small, small world

There is just one moon and one golden sun
And a smile means friendship to everyone.
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide
It's a small small world

(chorus)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats some very good rules to remember. If I hear you sing the song then I will remember to "settle down"... :)

"Max"

metallicorphan said...

you had to put the song in at the end!!

didnt Ross from Friends lose his Virginity on that ride?


i have people on my friends list that i would like to play with,but two things,A)it would hurt too much if wasnt Battlefront 1 or 2,as i want those days to return

B)being in the UK,isnt always conveniant for me

this is why i really want BF3 to come out and it to be as good as 'those days'...when i would stay up all night playing because i loved to play..i mean playing until an hour before i had to go to work after playing since coming in from work,instead of now only having the energy for half hours gaming before getting bored..i hope LOTR:conquest from SW:BF makers,Pandemic is just as good

i pretty much like everyone on my list i think,apart from one guy,he was an old war buddy(meaning star wars :battlefront player..actually a buddy from LucasArts SW:BF forum board days)and he just disapeared..he is still on my list but its been two years since i heard from him,we would always arrange to play everynight for pretty much a year...maybe he died,i dunno...another friend hasn't seen him forever either

Pengwenn said...

I wasn't thinking about you "max" unless you're referring to the 'raving lunatic' part and then yes, I was. There were a few moments last night when I Fbody would kill me that I wanted to sing. But I will still able to keep my mouth shut at that point. The singing is for when you can't. I'm sure someone will be singing sometime one of these days.

orphie, I don't know what happened to those good old days of SW:B. Maybe it ws the game play, maybe it was Star Wars. But those were some good times. I miss those days.